Conwy Suspension Bridge
One of the bridges which cross the Conwy river just at the base of the castle is Thomas Telford's iron-chained suspension bridge. Built in 1826, it's purpose was to bring traffic along the North Wales coast. On the east side of the bridge is the original Toll house which has been restored to a late Victorian style, both the bridge and the Toll House are open to visitors.
Adjacent to the suspension bridge (upstream) is the less attractive but equally important Tubular bridge which was built by Robert Stephenson in 1849 to carry the Chester to Holyhead railway line (which it still does to this day).
Downstream also running adjacent to the suspension bridge is the road bridge built in 1958 to carry traffic to Conwy town and beyond. Nowadays a larger by-pass carries the coastal traffic through a tunnel beneath the Conwy Estuary about half a mile north of the town.
Some images © Crown copyright (2014) Visit Wales. Please enquire if you require further details.